jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Hartmann <andr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Scalability/Clustering
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2006 14:46:14 GMT
Hi Peter,

thanks for your answer!

Peter Darton wrote:
>>> Therefore I am a little concerned about scalability.
>> did you find a solution to the scalability problem?
>
> I don't know if you're aware of it, but there's a project/product called
> "Magnolia" that's based on JackRabbit.

Yes, I'm aware of Magnolia, but I'm not yet familiar with it.

> It "solved" its scalability issue by embedding a repository (actually a
> set of 4) in every server that serves up read-only content, and all
> changes to that content get done through a single "master" server (which
> it calls the "private" server) which then updates all the "slave"
> servers (which it calls "public" servers).

IIUC this means that the private server has to be accessed
explicitely to execute write operations?

Is there an automatic failover mechanism, i.e. if the private
server goes down, a backup private server could take over this
responsibility (incl. session failover)?

> The downside, of course, of such data duplication is that keeping the
> different repositories in step is difficult, and in Magnolia's case, the
> linkage between private and public data is fragile.  However, it's a
> fairly simple answer that works for situations which are almost entirely
> read-only (or where write performance is not important).

In our case, the write performance will probably not be important,
but we need failover for the writing server(s) as well (since almost
all usecases can involve write operations). I guess we won't even be
able to live with a solution where not all servers have write access,
but I have to do a little more investigation.

> There is also at least one commercial JCR implementation that promises
> performance and scalability in exchange for your money.  I don't know
> how much better that might be compared to a base JackRabbit though,
> although I expect a favourable outcome would be valuable to their
> marketing dept.

OK, thanks for this hint as well. But our customer explicitely
prefers a complete open source solution.

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann
andreas.hartmann@wyona.com                     andreas@apache.org