jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From thomasg <thomasgascoi...@hotmail.com>
Subject Is doc addition / indexing synchronous or asynchronous?
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2006 15:05:04 GMT

Hi,

I am wondering how Jackrabbit handles document additions and indexing. I am
adding documents (.txt, .doc, .pdf) to a repository using nt:resource nodes.

I assume that calling session.save() causes new documents to be added to the
data storage and then indexed by Lucene. Is addition / indexing synchronous
or asynchronous, i.e, does addition and indexing have to complete before the
method returns, or are these tasks handed to another thread? When debugging
tests I seem to get quite long delays on session.save() with large documents
(around 1 min for 50MB). Also can the synch / asynch behaviour be modified?
Any enlightenment in this area would be appreciated, as would any pointers
to useful documentation in these areas.

We are trying to determine any delay perceived by users when they add a new
document to the dms.

Thanks very much,
Thomas

Sent from the Jackrabbit - Dev forum at Nabble.com.