jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Brian Moseley" <...@osafoundation.org>
Subject Re: Status of jcr-server
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2006 19:11:07 GMT
On 4/4/06, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:

> As far as I can tell this means that neither "jcr-server" (the thingy in
> the "server" subdirectory) nor "simple-server" (the one on the "webapp"
> subdirectory) will act as generic WebDAV servers: one exposes too much,
> the other one too little of the capabilities of JCR.

pretty much.

> So is a generic WebDAV server setup that could act as a drop-in
> replacement for things such as Apache/mod_dav, IIS or Slide in scope of
> this Apache activity, or would I need to start my own project for that?
> (Understanding that Cosmo may be part of the answer :-)

there was a thread a couple months ago about doing just this. a few of
the folks from the slide community were interested then, but i have no
idea what's going on over there these days.

there's quite a bit of dav code in cosmo that could probably be
donated to the asf (need to doublecheck first). i've been busy with
other stuff at osaf, but now i can make time to address this, starting
tomorrow very possibly.

i think the easiest, most efficient way to get the ball rolling would
be to create another contrib project. that way we don't pollute
jcr-server in case the effort dies out, and we avoid the politics of
coming out of the gate aiming for some kind of top level thinger.

i'm a bit distracted right now, so i may have overlooked something
important. call me out if i have :)