jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "David Nuescheler" <david.nuesche...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Fwd: Copy versioned nodes
Date Fri, 03 Mar 2006 09:43:22 GMT
hi carlos,

thanks for the insight.

> When you copy a versionable node in jackrabbit, is its version history
> reset? I mean the new node starts with a fresh version history?
correct. not just in jackrabbit but in jcr in general.
the node will get a new uuid and therefore will get a new versionhistory.

> In subversion the version history of the new node (after a copy or move)
> starts with the version of the source node at the time of the copy.
move of course works the same way in jcr. copy doesn't.

> Thus
> when you examined the version history of the copied node, you see the
> versions in the new place plus the versions when it was in the old
> place. I believe that's why it's not necessary to copy the whole version
> history, it's shared by both nodes, up to the time of the copy, and the
> fact that it was copied it's also recorded.
hmm... i am not sure i can see all the consequences of sharing
a version history between two nodes within the same workspace.
for example cloned nodes in different workspaces of course share
one version history.

while i am still looking for a good reason why version histories in
general are not copied (at least in my experience) in any config
management environment, i believe that copying a version history
(with all its original timestamps) would be sort of "lying" about what
happend to a node in the past.

regards,
david