jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Martin Perez" <mper...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Fwd: Copy versioned nodes
Date Fri, 03 Mar 2006 10:00:45 GMT
IMHO, copying version history could leave to some problems.

One simple example. Imagine that you have a document in which you have
worked internally for several days. That document will have many versions
with all the changes you did. Now, you have the final version for that
document and you copy the document to your manager's workspace. Imagine what
would happen if your manager could see all the nasty comments about him that
you put on the pre-final versions :-)

Well, this is only a silly example trying to explain that I think that the
common case when copying a node is to get a clean copy, and not a copy with
all the version history. Anyways, this does not mean that the other case is
not possible or useful, but I think that it is not the ordinary case.

In my special case, i.e. jLibrary, users can export repositories and
documents to share them with others. But, why those other users could be
able to read the version history? Even more, I think that my users would not
like that other users could be able to see all the things that they changed
on the document.

Martin