jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Fabrizio Giustina" <fgi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: move site outside of maven?
Date Mon, 20 Mar 2006 16:07:09 GMT
Hi,

> I'm seeing at least the following problems:
> [...]
> 2) The line numbers in the source cross reference reports cause almost
> the entire cross reference file to be modified whenever lines are
> added or removed from the source files.

well, that's perfectly normal, if you want to have xref updated with
the latest version of the source code... I don't think this should be
a problem

> 3) The included execution times in the JUnit test report cause the
> entire file to be modified whenever the site is generated.

since execution time can't be perfectly stable across different runs
that's another expected thing...

> 4) My setup seems to generate the class="a" and class="b" attributes
> of generated table rows in a different order than Roy's setup.

If I remember well, that's probably simply because the total row
number during the site generation is a global variable, so it's enough
to have a single added row in a table that other css classes could
shift....

All those reports are simply not meant to be checked into a scm
repository... I know that the Apache guidelines tells to "not to
modify files directly in the site directory, but check them into
subversion instead" but I don't think that such recommendation could
apply to files that are totally generated from other sources.

If you had any file or resources that show up on the website without
any processing that could be true, but when html pages are simply a
"translation" of xdoc documents having the source xdoc file checked
into subversion should be enough. And for all the reports that only
dependes from the source code like Xref I can't see any reason why
having the source code in svn is not enough (sounds just like checking
in .class files to me...).

My suggestion is to check if having xdocs into subversion is enough:
IMHO the project guidelines simply don't take into consideration the
use of Maven (or any similar tool) that doesn't generate only static
documentation, but very "dynamic" reports.
Using Maven you can also easily deploy (to the live site or to a stage
site) all the generated documentation and I'm sure you will find that
better that going through svn for any change.

fabrizio