jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Thoughts on database persistence
Date Sat, 18 Mar 2006 18:28:07 GMT
Hi,

On 3/18/06, Stefan Guggisberg <stefan.guggisberg@gmail.com> wrote:
> 'Simple' also refers to use of a very simple data model instead of
> a fully normalized schema or some object-relational mapping.

Agreed. A different data model would require a fully separate PM class
(like in the orm- or dbd- contribs). I believe the
SimpleDbPersistenceManager data model is good for the current needs
and pretty much orthogonal to the way the database connection is
handled.

> those best practices apply to j2ee applications. the point is that i don't
> consider jackrabbit to be a j2ee application, jackrabbit is infrastructure
> and has other requirements regarding its persistence layer than a
> database application.

Good point. In many cases Jackrabbit however lives in a J2EE
environment and, as expressed in JCR-313, there are legitimate needs
for using it within the constraints of existing database deployments.

> note that write operations must occur within a single transaction, i.e.
> you can't get a new connection for every write operation.

Ah, good point. That pretty much downs my proposal. So, withdrawn for now.

BR,

Jukka Zitting