jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Alexandru Popescu <the.mindstorm.mailingl...@gmail.com>
Subject document order related questions
Date Fri, 31 Mar 2006 09:10:34 GMT

I have been trying to understand what exactly is the document order and why it is set by default
true in the queries, even if it is known its bad impact on performance.

I have been rechecking the spec, but I couldn't find any definition of this term. A definition
probably be deduced from the 6.4.2 Document View XML Mapping chapter, but this would lead
to a
vicious circle imo.

So, what is the document order? Please give me any details that might enlighten me about this

Related to this document order there is another paragraph in the spec that is not absolutely
to me. I am refering to Document Order:

If document order searching is supported, then the context
functions related to document order, last() and position(), must
also be supported.

This paragraph should be read like: last(), position() can be used _only_ in queries that
use the
document order?

If this is the case, than optimization queries like position() > x (for paging) will not
work when a
specific order is used (and I know there is already a JIRA issue about position() being able
handle only equality :-) ). Than you will need to rely on the NodeIterator.skip() that is
required to be lazy.

Can you please give me some details, comments, opinions, anything that might remove the shaddow
this points? Many, many thanks in advance,

.w( the_mindstorm )p.

View raw message