jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Giota Karadimitriou" <Giota.Karadimitr...@eurodyn.com>
Subject session logout and repository shutdown in JCA
Date Fri, 10 Mar 2006 08:48:07 GMT
Hello,

I have been doing some investigation on how to perform session logout
and repository shutdown
when using jackrabbit via JCA, as a resource adapter.

After searching the list I found out about the repository patch
which now (according to the jira issue) exists in version 1.0. Therefore
the repository shutdown is bound to happen when all sessions close.
This covers the second part of my question I guess.

However, using jackrabbit through jca means that transactions are now
handled by the container (application server). Session.logout
cannot be performed before the end of the transaction because data will
then be lost. Session.logout must be performed at the end of the
transaction
but in a J2EE environment you cannot tell for sure where the transaction
ends because a transactional method of a session bean might call/extend
some other transactional method etc. In this context it would be ideal
if the container could perform session.logout (I guess this is similar
to connection.close) at the end
of the transaction.

Since sessions cannot be logged out explicitly before the end of the
transaction (because data will be lost) and are not closed by the
container at the end of the transaction, this leaves us with a lot of
active sessions.

Therefore besides the concurrent session problem, the repository cannot
be properly shut down since active sessions will exist.

I guess session are cleared after a certain timeout but can this timeout
be configured somewhere?

I posted sth like that to the list some days ago, so sorry for asking
again however I would just like some opinion to verify at least whether
this problem exists
and if it is in plan for jackrabbit to support sth like this in the
future.

Regards
Giota