jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Martin Perez" <mper...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Suggestion on JSR 283.
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2006 12:05:30 GMT
Hi.

Well, I have been reading these last emails with great surprise. As jLibrary
author, I must thank you both for the opinion and references about my
project.

jLibrary is a modest project, I really don't know if it can serve as a
model, because maybe I missed several points (for example workflow is not
implemented), but well, if my object model can serve as an starting point,
that will be simply great. jLibrary is working now ( and is a project really
very healthy since I migrated from custom-hibernate-persistence to
Jackrabbit), and so if it can serve as a tool for testing purposes, it will
be even better.

Kind regards,

Martin

On 2/20/06, David Nuescheler <david.nuescheler@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Chand,
>
> Thanks for your email and thanks for the link to jlibrary.
>
> First of all I would like to express my appreciation for all
> the work done and I think it is fantastic to see applications
> like jlibrary operate on JCR. This is precisely what JCR is
> meant to be used for.
>
> I think jlibrary also demonstrates in an impressive way
> the need for some guidelines around "Content Modeling"
> in general and "Nodetype Modelling" in particular.
> So jlibrary may be a very good example to explain the
> caveats, pro and cons, dos and don'ts around
> nodetype modelling.
>
> What do you think would be a good forum for an initial
> set comments and dialog around the jlibrary content
> model? Since Martin is also active on jackrabbit-dev
> list, this may well be a good place to start the
> discussions from which we then can harvest the best
> practices around "content modelling".
>
> With respect JSR-283, I would like to answer as a
> member of the expert group (neither as the spec-lead
> nor on behalf of the expert group).
>
> In my mind JCR should still try to stay out of semantic
> information modelling as much as possible. Having said that,
> there are a few select areas where the benefit of interoperability
> by "imposing" a given very well-known and established
> data model outweigh the associated dangers and efforts.
>
> Examples from JSR-170 are nt:file, nt:folder and nt:resource.
>
> In JSR-283 I personally would expect few and very simple
> nodetypes that describe very well-known, established and
> frequently used concepts. Personally, I think of things
> like a dublin-core or a "natural language" mixin.
>
> Of course I am big believer in having a large number of
> publicly known and well organized nodetypes, and any form
> of complex media-types are perfect examples.
>
> For an effort like that I would suggest a different platform
> than the JCP that offers faster modification cycles and a
> more open, less formalized and more collaborative environment.
> Maybe the Jackrabbit project could host something like
> a "Public Nodetype Library" initially?
> [ http://zitting.name/jukka/2004/11/jackrabbit/msg00134.html ]
>
> regards,
> david
>
> On 2/20/06, Chandresh Turakhia <chand.turakhia@bhartitelesoft.com> wrote:
> > Dear David ,
> >
> > Jlibrary has done some nice work modelling nodes which basic
> applications need.
> >
> > http://jlibrary.sourceforge.net/6/hierarchy.html .JLibrary is Open
> Source DMS using Eclipse RCP by Martin.
> >
> > Even exo has done some decent work - Creating standard services like
> templating based on JSF+Velocity which most CMS need * use internally.Niceto have something
that goes as standard sample repositories. So that it