jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ItemStateException
Date Mon, 27 Feb 2006 10:13:37 GMT
Hi,

On 2/27/06, Carlos Villegas <cav@uniscope.jp> wrote:
> Hmmm... We had problems before because the application didn't close the
> sessions on exit and the RMI client leaves them open on the server even
> though the client VM exits. We may still have session leakage.
> Shouldn't the RMI server close sessions if the client dies, or there's
> no way to know that a client has died?

I'm currently trusting on the RMI distributed garbage collector (DGC)
to clean up unclosed sessions. The end result should be similar to
locally abandoned sessions.

An alternative would be for the server to explicitly poll the client
for status or to require the client to periodically renew a "session
lease", but that seems like an unnecessary complication given the DGC.
I may end up adding such a feature as a part of JCR-206, but that's
low priority at the moment.

BR,

Jukka Zitting