jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reuteg...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Single vs. Multiple Workspaces
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2006 08:34:44 GMT
There is not the one correct answer to your question. It very much
depends how your application uses jackrabbit.

Here are some general considerations that might help you to decide which
way you want to go:

Pros for a single workspace:
- it is certainly easier to use by your application, you don't have to
login to multiple workspaces and fiddle with multiple sessions.

- less resource intensive. using one workspace will connect to a single
backend store (e.g. database). It will only create two indexes (one for
the workspace and one for the jcr:system tree) -> less open file handles.

Pros for using multiple workspaces:
- better concurrency when you have a lot of write operations that can be
distributed to multiple workspaces.

- increased cache efficiency. each workspace has its own cache that is
separated from others.

- allows you to use specific persistence manager implementations per
workspace that are tailored to the usage of that workspace.

regards
  marcel