jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reuteg...@gmx.net>
Subject use of java 1.4 assert
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2006 11:52:35 GMT
hi all,

I'm currently working on an improvement regarding memory consumption in
jackrabbit (replace reference map for listener in item states with a
more light weight collection class). doing that, I would like to use the
java 1.4 assert facility to include preconditions that make sure a
listener is only registered once. that way I don't have to check every
time if a listener is already registered.

using 1.4 asserts would required the '-source 1.4' switch when compiling
jackrabbit. our maven project.properties already adds that switch. so,
there would be nothing to do on our side. but probably a comment in
documentation that talks about this.

per default asserts are disabled and will not impact performance.
when running the unit tests, asserts would then be enabled using the -ea
switch for the test run.

what's the general feeling about this?

regards
  marcel