jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Peeter Piegaze <peeter.pieg...@day.com>
Subject Re: jackrabbit fit my needs?
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2006 22:33:21 GMT
On 2/2/06, Phillip Rhodes <spamsucks@rhoderunner.com> wrote:

> I have been going over the docs and hoping to have some confirmation
> before I commit further.
>
> I am looking to implement a library (in tapestry) that would allow users
> to upload and display content within a webapp (images, html, etc).  I
> would like to abstract the content storage so that it can be stored in
> webdav, dbms, file system, etc...
>
> By writing my library with jackrabbit, would I be giving the users of my
> library the capability of using these other repo's, while still working
> "out of the box" with a filesystem?

Depends what you mean. Obviously Jackrabbit is not a magic integration
device that somehow automatically provides a single API for accessing
existing legacy content stored in repositories, databases and
filesystems that you already have lying around.

But Jackrabbit can be configured to store (new) content using a
variety of different underlying storage mechanisms (databases, file
systems etc.).

The real point of Jackrabbit is that it is an implementation of JCR.
If you wrote your library using JCR (not 'Jackrabbit' per se) the
advantange would be that you could then also use the same library with
other JCR implementations.

That's the actual *point* of Jackrabbit. The fact that a number of
persistence managers are available is not really the core issue.

Cheers,
Peeter