jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Guggisberg <stefan.guggisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: workspace already exists
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2006 15:09:22 GMT
hi costin

On 1/16/06, Costin Leau <costin.leau@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After I have updated to rev 367534 (10.01.2006) I keep receiving these
> errors between redeploys:
>
> org.apache.jackrabbit.core.config.ConfigurationException: Workspace directory already
exists: default
>         at org.apache.jackrabbit.core.config.RepositoryConfig.createWorkspaceConfig(RepositoryConfig.java:454)
>         at org.apache.jackrabbit.core.config.RepositoryConfig.init(RepositoryConfig.java:317)
>         at org.apache.jackrabbit.core.config.RepositoryConfig.create(RepositoryConfig.java:137)
>
> Is there any way to tell jr to use the workspace - the only solution I
> could find is to delete the directory and restart the application.
> Since I can reuse the information it would be nice to have a flag to
> tell jackrabbit to do that force me.

the following steps are performed during jr's startup process:

- read repository config
- ...
- read workspace configs, i.e. scan subdirectories of the
  workspaces root directory for workspace.xml files; each
  such file configures an existing  workspace
- if the 'default' workspace doesn't exist yet, create a subdirectory
  with a corresponding workspace.xml
- initialize the 'default' workspace
- ...

your problem seems to be that jr couldn't find the workspace.xml
for the default workspace and tried to create it in a corresponding
subdirectory. creating the subdirectory failed because there was
an existing directory with the same name, probably a leftover from
a previous install.

the "Workspace directory already exists" exception is thrown intentionally
in order to prevent accidentally overwriting existing data.

i suggest you check your redeployment procedure and make sure
you don't leave empty workspace directories.

cheers
stefan