jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Guggisberg <stefan.guggisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r366207 - in /incubator/jackrabbit/trunk/jackrabbit/src/main/java/org/apache/jackrabbit/core: fs/db/ state/db/
Date Fri, 06 Jan 2006 11:40:36 GMT
oops, sorry, i hit the 'send' button too soon ;)

On 1/6/06, Stefan Guggisberg <stefan.guggisberg@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi martin
>
> On 1/5/06, Martin van den Bemt <mllist@mvdb.net> wrote:
> > Hi Stefan (and others),
> >
> > I am not yet using jackrabbit (little expirements though), but when I do, I like
to get "rid" of the
> > ddl and use ddlutils [*] for that, so there is one schema, from which ddl can be
generated (saves a
> > lot of maintenance)
> > DDLUtils isn't yet released and support for daffodil is not yet there, so we need
to finish that first.
> > Are you willing to consider such a patch ?
>
> generally i think that ddlutils is a very good and usefull and well
> documented tool.
> the "supported databases" section i found particularly helpful.
>
> i have to admit though that i am rather sceptic regarding the benefit
> of replacing
> the .ddl files with ddlutils. the current mechanism is IMO very simple
> yet efficient.
> does ddlutils support placeholders in schema object names, e.g.
> "create table ${schemaObjectPrefix}NODE ..."? another issue: the schema used
> is extremely simple. i prefer to 'tune' the schema for specific
> backends rather than
> restricting myself to the least common denominator. an example:

mysql:
 ... FSENTRY_PATH text not null, FSENTRY_NAME varchar(255) not null, ...

db2:
 ... FSENTRY_PATH varchar(745) not null, FSENTRY_NAME varchar(255) not null

both columns are indexed but db2 restricts the size of an index entry
to approx. 1k.

conclusion: if using ddlutils doesn't add complexity and a lot of new
dependencies
but still supports the current flexibility i wouldn't be against using it.

cheers
stefan