jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Remove o.a.j.BaseException?
Date Tue, 31 Jan 2006 09:12:14 GMT
Hi,

The org.apache.jackrabbit.BaseException class implements the root
cause mechanism that is also available built-in since Java 1.4. As we
already require Java 1.4 I propose that we remove the BaseException
class in favor of the standard Exception.

There are a few cases where the BaseException is explicitly referenced
like this:

    try {
        // do something
    } catch (BaseException e) {
        // generic error handling
    }

Is there a semantic reason for this or could such cases be replaced
with "catch (Exception e)"? In the former case I propose that a more
descriptive exception base class is created.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Software craftmanship, JCR consulting, and Java development