jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Jackrabbit 0.9 release plan
Date Wed, 25 Jan 2006 23:32:49 GMT
Hi,

This is a release plan for Jackrabbit version 0.9. Please comment or
correct me on any mistakes or omissions. Unless anyone objects with a
-1 before 2006-01-29, I will assume lazy consensus for this release
plan and my status as the 0.9 release manager.

Based on your feedback I will prepare a similar plan for the 1.0 release.

RELEASE GOALS

The goals of releasing Jackrabbit version 0.9 are:

    1) Set up and test drive the release process
    2) Prepare a clear baseline for releasing version 1.0
    3) Provide a tested and fully functional JCR 1.0 implementation

The 0.9 release will *not* attempt to be fully compatible with the
upcoming 1.0 release as we will likely make some API cleanups and
renames before the 1.0 release.

The main focus of this release are the internal processes of the
Jackrabbit project, but it will also be useful to Jackrabbit users who
are currently using SVN snapshots. Users should however be warned that
there will most likely be internal API and configuration changes
between the 0.9 and 1.0 releases.

RELEASE CONTENTS

The Jackrabbit version 0.9 release will contain the following components:

    * jackrabbit - the full Jackrabbit content repository implementation
    * jackrabbit-commons - a general-purpose JCR utility library
    * jcr-rmi - an RMI network layer for the JCR API

Only a few components are included to keep the 0.9 release easier to
handle. The upcoming 1.0 release will contain also other mature
contrib components.

(Note that we may want to rename jcr-rmi to jackrabbit-rmi for consistency.)

REMAINING ISSUES

    JCR-304 Set up a release goal in Maven

The 0.9 release will be a snapshot of the current state of the
Jackrabbit codebase so no features or bug fixes are included in this
list.

RELEASE SCHEDULE

I'm targeting to have the last issue resolved and a release candidate
ready for testing on 2006-01-29. If everything goes well I will first
start an internal release vote on 2006-02-01 and then (if the vote
passes) request approval from the Incubator PMC on 2006-02-04.

RELEASE BRANCH

Once the remaining issue is solved and there are no major problems
with the source tree, I will branch the release components into
.../branches/0.9 for release cleanups (changing the version numbers,
etc.) and tagging as .../tags/0.9.0. The release packages will be
built from the tag directory.

Possible patch releases (to fix bugs reported against the release) can
be made from the same branch and tagged as .../tags/0.9.1, etc.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Software craftmanship, JCR consulting, and Java development