jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: programatically creating RepositoryConfig
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2006 09:39:26 GMT
Hi,

On 1/19/06, Costin Leau <costin.leau@gmail.com> wrote:
>  I'm trying to create a RepositoryConfig object programatically
>  (through Spring) in order to inject dynamic properties at runtime. It
>  seems there is no 'clean' way to do this as the RepositoryConfig
>  constructor has package visibility and only the Configuration parser
>  can create one based on an xml file.

The RepositoryConfig (and the contained more specific component
configuration objects) are used to instantiate and configure the
actual components used by a live Jackrabbit instance. Modifying the
config objects after would not be very useful, so I assume that you
want to modify (or even generate) the configuration on fly before
passing it to the RepositoryImpl constructor.

I refactored the config classes last year but didn't change the way
the config instances are being used by Jackrabbit. In general I think
that a IoC approach (use setters to configure the Jackrabbit
components) would be better than passing config objects around and
letting the components to instantiate any subcomponents based on the
configuration. This is why I didn't really want to make the config
constructors public, otherwise we'd easily up with backwards
compatibility issues if we were to change the way configuration is
handled.

Anyhow, if you really need this, then I suppose it would be OK to
change that. Please file a Jira issue about this. If you want you
could even attach a patch to speed things up. :-)

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Software craftmanship, JCR consulting, and Java development