jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: handling indexing failure
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2006 20:41:22 GMT
Hi,

On 1/11/06, Brian Moseley <bcm@osafoundation.org> wrote:
> so the issue isn't whether the text filter should be validating
> content but rather what do i do when in the course of normal filtering
> i come upon a situation that is so horribly wrong (for whatever
> reason) that the entire storage operation should be vetoed.

I suppose you mean external error conditions (a ThreadDeath like the
one you mentioned, a bug in the filter code, a class loader issue,
etc.) instead of a problem in the content being filtered (parse error,
etc.).

You are right that such a situation combined with the fact that the
indexer is invoked through observation makes for a chance to silently
lose parts of the index. You may want to file a bug report about this
in the Jira.

I'm not sure of how this problem should be best handled. Supporting
full or even partial ACID properties for the index can be quite
expensive, so I think a short term solution of just documenting the
issue and perhaps improving the logged warning messages could be
acceptable.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Software craftmanship, JCR consulting, and Java development