jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reuteg...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: handling indexing failure
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2006 11:06:01 GMT
Brian Moseley wrote:
> when filtering fails for some reason (say icalendar parsing fails),
> i'd like the PUT request to fail. in other words, the repository
> should communicate to the dav layer that indexing failed. but because
> indexing is implemented as an observation event, it doesn't appear
> that there is a regular code path that does what i want.

IMO, this should be handled by the application and not the repository. A
repository might allow to set constraints on the a binary property, but
this would be independent of indexing that property.

tobi already mentioned that such a feature could be implemented with
something like a custom filter. but again that would be on a higher
level. and not deep down in the index.

> one idea is to throw a specific runtime exception from the text filter
> and catch it in the layer that calls node.save(). that layer would
> have to explicitly remove the node upon catching the indexing
> exception.

there are several questions that arise:
- will a transaction fail if this happens?
- observation is triggered after changes are made persistent, we would
need to roll them back in some way. the current persistent manager api
does not allow that.

regards
  marcel