jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reuteg...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: problem with index not being updated
Date Tue, 10 Jan 2006 10:35:41 GMT
Brian Moseley wrote:
> i ran into a situation today where it looked like the lucene index
> stopped being updated until i bounced my server, closing down and then
> reopening the repository.
>
> i observed some thread death stack traces in the server log right
> around the time people were uploading resources to the server. they
> appeared to be happening during indexing. i bounced the server and
> didn't see any more thread deaths, but when we ran some queries, we
> got zero results even when we could browse through the repository and
> observe nodes there.

can you post those stack traces? that will probably help to find out
what could have caused the problem.

> i thought of deleting and recreating the relevant nodes, but that
> didn't have any effect. it was as if the index was not being updated,
> even though i'd bounced the server and given the jvm more memory.

if you see OutOfMemoryExceptions this might be due to:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.jackrabbit.devel/5026

> later in the day i bounced the server again, then deleted and
> recreated the nodes being queried. suddenly the queries started
> returning the expected results. i'm not sure what i might have done
> differently this time.
>
> anyway, does this sort of behavior ring any bells for anyone? maybe
> something to do with merging indexes or persisting the volatile index
> or something?
>
> also, is there any builtin way to cause the index to be flushed and
> rebuilt? seems like that would come in handy should this situation
> occur again before we understand what's going on.

there is a configuration parameter that controls how long the volatile
part of the index is held in memory: volatileIdleTime
per default the volatile index is written to disk after 3 seconds.

if you want to rebuild the index you have to shutdown jackrabbit and
delete the index manually and then restart. it is not possible to
re-index a workspace while it is in use.

regards
  marcel