jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reuteg...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: escape/unescape jcr names implementation
Date Tue, 10 Jan 2006 10:22:15 GMT
Brian Moseley wrote:
> wouldn't there be issues importing content with names escaped in this manner?
>
> in other words, if i tried to import a node with _xHHHH_ in its name,
> wouldn't the import mechanism convert that to an illegal character,
> causing an exception to be thrown when the node is saved?

no, the result of an escape operation is always a valid jcr name. no
matter what you feed in!

e.g. if you had something like:

My Documents

now we have an application that already escapes that name to:

My_x0020_Documents

importing such a name will escape the sequence _x0020_ again because the
spec says:

The underscore character (“_”), when appearing as literal, is itself
escaped if it is followed by xHHHH where H is one of the following
characters: 0123456789abcdefABCDEF.

finally the name in the repository will be:

My_x005f_x0020_Documents

If you export that again, the name is unescaped and you will get:

My_x0020_Documents

-> exactly what you imported.

regards
  marcel