jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: 1.0 release plan (Was: time for another incubator board report)
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2006 23:16:12 GMT
On Jan 12, 2006, at 9:45 AM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> David Nuescheler wrote:
>> Thanks a lot to Jukka for taking the lead on the release.
>> I think this is a very important step for the Jackrabbit project
>> in general
>> and I guess everybody greatly appreciates an outstandingly qualified
>> release manager for the very first crucial release.
>
> +1
>
> It is also important to note that the incubator will be *very*
> happy to hear that the release manager is somebody that is not
> coming from the original pool of developers that started the
> incubating project.
>
> I actually think, in all honesty, that my role as mentor ends here.
>
> Roy, last word is for you: do you think we should ask for
> graduation once the 1.0 release is made? Should we combine the two
> (graduation from incubation and release?)

I think we should build a release candidate in incubator and then
vote on releasing the jars as 0.9.x.  At that point, we should vote
on graduation and request a TLP from the board.

Jukka, I encourage you to produce a few incubating release builds
as version 0.9.x as soon as you feel like that would be productive.
We need to start working on the versioning rules and, since we are
a library, it will need to be clear that there will be no incompatible
interface changes in the 1.x series.  We should run some tools on the
release package to be sure the public API is clean enough for use
by other projects.

....Roy