jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Moseley <...@osafoundation.org>
Subject Re: using one db for all filesystems and pms
Date Wed, 25 Jan 2006 16:59:32 GMT
On 1/25/06, Stefan Guggisberg <stefan.guggisberg@gmail.com> wrote:

> i attached a repository.xml that stores everything in a single derby db.
>
> note that i only had to change *two* lines in the example repository.xml
> found in jackrabbit/src/main/config:
>
> i changed to "url" param of the Workspace PersistenceManager to:
>             <param name="url" value="jdbc:derby:${rep.home}/db;create=true"/>
>
> i changed to "url" param of the Versioning PersistenceManager to:
>             <param name="url" value="jdbc:derby:${rep.home}/db;create=true"/>

yeah, that is straightforward. my problems come when i use
DerbyFileSystems also. the first time i tried that i got an exception
when one of the components was trying to create its schema, so i
removed create=true from the urls and preloaded the complete schema
into the db. then i got exceptions at shutdown time because the first
component to close itself shut derby down as well. we talked about
that before, and your suggestion was to use SimpleDb* instead of the
derby variants and manage startup and shutdown of derby externally.
that's fine for my webapp which runs in a container, but i also have
command line tools for registering custom node types and importing
data, and i don't want them to have any specific knowledge of the
repository configuration or to have to manage the repository's
database. so basically i'm unable to use embedded derby with one
database for all five PMs and FSs unless i can figure out some other
way to shut down the embedded derby from within jackrabbit that is not
tied to the lifecycle of the PM and FS components but is guaranteed to
execute after they are all shut down. and there you have it - my whole
story :)