jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Moseley <...@osafoundation.org>
Subject Re: Re[2]: workspace already exists
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2006 17:27:07 GMT
On 1/18/06, Stefan Guggisberg <stefan.guggisberg@gmail.com> wrote:

> touché ;) you must have caught me on the wrong foot, sorry.

i just woke up so i'm kinda grouchy myself. need to remember to get a
cup of coffee before reading email :)

> fair enough :) currently only SimpleDbPersistenceManager and subclasses thereof
> do support transactions. i guess BerkeleyDBPersistenceManager in contrib does
> also but i didn't test it.
>
> wrt externalBlobs=true: blobs in the file system are not stored within
> the context
> of a transaction, i.e. the changes in the fs wont be reverted on
> rollback. if you do
> need transaction support you have to specify externalBlobs=false.

as i suspected. i'll probably wind up testing blobs both externally
and db to see how different performance is. storing blobs in the db
would certainly be more robust, as we're discussing now, and it would
make the job of backing up the repository data easier, since we could
stick to the dbms' provided backup tools.

backup is another very interesting topic, of course, when you have
large numbers of nodes and blobs. i'll be doing some work here in the
next couple months and will share whatever i come up with.