jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Moseley <...@osafoundation.org>
Subject Re: handling indexing failure
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2006 17:00:51 GMT
On 1/12/06, Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reutegger@gmx.net> wrote:

> filters are allowed to throw a RepositoryException, those are only
> logged and will not harm index integrity. and yes, I think this should
> stay as it is.
> unchecked exceptions or even errors are a different story and need to be
> handled. this is currently not the case.
>
> if errors were handled properly with a transaction rollback, text filter
> developers will be able to abuse this and throw an unchecked exception,
> which would then trigger a rollback of the transaction. so, in the end
> you will still get vetoable text filters ;)
>
> but that needs more thinking how this is handled deep inside jackrabbit.

i fully agree and look forward to eventual resolution of JCR-299. i'd
like to see that happen for 1.0, but as i'm not qualified to make the
change myself, i won't press the issue ;)

until then, this virtual property strategy feels fragile and makes me
a bit nervous, but it'll do for now. thanks marcel!