jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Moseley <...@osafoundation.org>
Subject Re: handling indexing failure
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2006 17:40:44 GMT

> Based on your description it feels to me that you are seriously
> pushing the limits of the TextFilter feature. Have you considered the
> alternative of doing the binary-to-index-optimized-text conversion at
> the application level and storing the results as an extra string (or a
> text/plain binary) property? This would probably double your storage
> requirements, but you'd avoid the mentioned problems and there would
> be no need to use Jackrabbit-specific features.

we did consider that option, but it turns out that querying against a
single jcr property isn't good enough (for various reasons that aren't
interesting here).

also, doubling my current storage requirements of just below 500gb, to
nearly a terabyte of storage for a 10,000 user calendar server with a
15mb user quota, just seems outrageous and, i'm pretty sure,
unacceptable to those holding the checkbook ;)