jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Moseley <...@osafoundation.org>
Subject Re: handling indexing failure
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2006 16:10:36 GMT
On 1/11/06, Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reutegger@gmx.net> wrote:

> IMO, this should be handled by the application and not the repository. A
> repository might allow to set constraints on the a binary property, but
> this would be independent of indexing that property.

when you say "this should be handled by the application", what
specifically do you mean?

to be clear, my node has a binary property that stores an icalendar
stream. our text/calendar text filter parses that stream into
icalendar components, properties, and parameters and creates a
TextFilter.TextFilterIndexString for each. then the application can
construct extremely simple jcr queries to see if a node has, say, the
icalendar SUMMARY property without the node actually having a jcr
property representing that.

are you suggesting that the application should maintain its own index
of icalendar data outside of the repository and provide its own query
engine for finding resources by their icalendar properties?

> tobi already mentioned that such a feature could be implemented with
> something like a custom filter. but again that would be on a higher
> level. and not deep down in the index.

sorry, i miscommunicated. i didn't understand that text filtering and
indexing were separate layers. to me, it's all in the query package ;)
the component that i'm having trouble with is a custom TextFilter.

> there are several questions that arise:
> - will a transaction fail if this happens?

i don't use transactions. so i hadn't considered this question.

> - observation is triggered after changes are made persistent, we would
> need to roll them back in some way. the current persistent manager api
> does not allow that.

that's what i meant when i said the application would have to
explicitly remove the node upon catching this unchecked exception. it
would be doing a manual rollback. of the node save. yeah, yuck. i
don't like it either. that's why i'd like for my custom TextFilter to
be able to veto the operation ;)