jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Guggisberg <stefan.guggisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DBFileSystem Store
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2005 09:29:50 GMT
hi roy

SimpleDbPersistenceManager has a configurable option 'externalBLOBs'.
if you set it to false binaries will be stored in the database instead of the
local file system. Note that this has nothing to do with DbFileSystem.

there's other repository state like custom node types, registered namespaces,
locks etc that is stored in an abstract FileSystem, typically in a
LocalFileSystem
(i.e. on your local drive).

now you can use DbFileSystem to store this information in a database.
this way only the search index would be stored locally, everyhing else
is in the database. the advantages are obvious. however, the disadvantage
of this configuration is that you cannot easily read/edit the
information stored
in the DbFileSystem. therefore i wouldn't recommend it for development work.

btw: i wouldn't recommend using the FileSystem-based PMs (ObjectPM & XMLPM)
on a DbFileSystem, this just doesn't make sense. if you need jdbc-persistence
use SimpleDbPersistenceManager or a subclass thereof.

cheers
stefan

ps: as a proof of concept i attached a sample configuration that
stores everything
in a mysql database.