jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From St├ęphane Croisier <scroisi...@jahia.com>
Subject Re: webdav server(s)
Date Wed, 14 Dec 2005 17:14:01 GMT

There is a thread running on right now on the
Slide Dev List about moving Slide to a Top Level
Apache Project (TLP). Currently we are using
Slide as a temporary solution to store some
binary files for our CMS and I agree quite a lot
with the conclusions of Brian... The Slide
project is nearly dead and without nearly any
activities from beginning of this year.

So the best solution would certainly be to open a
new "dav.apache.org" top level project which
would include a Slide 3.0 full refactoring based
on Jackrabbit (or whatever would be the new name
of such a project) and try to gather all the
currently scarce DAV ressources and expertises
into one single project.... Then CalDAV or other
DAV extensions would then also easily fit in such a new TLP...

My 2 cts...

At 17:31 14.12.2005, Brian Moseley wrote:
>Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>>>personally, i have no interest in working on
>>>such a thing. i wouldn't tell somebody not to
>>>do it, but i wouldn't help them either.
>>Can you tell us why?
>i found the slide codebase to be extremely
>confusing, verging on incomprehensible. i was
>unable to make heads or tails of the apis and
>had only the vaguest inkling of how i might extend it for caldav.
>by contrast, the jcr-server design is relatively
>simple and elegant, and the extension points are natural and obvious.
>also the slide community didn't seem to have
>much momentum back in the spring of 2005. there
>was no defined release plan and extremely little
>support on the mailing list. the documentation
>that existed was sparse and often frustratingly
>unintelligible, so when you had questions, you were basically screwed.
>things might have changed for the better with
>slide, but i'm not optimistic. i vastly prefer
>the jackrabbit code and community.

- -- --- -----=[ scroisier2 at jahia dot com ]=---- --- -- -
www.jahia.org : The Java Unified Web Platform

View raw message