jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Dominique Pfister <dominique.pfis...@day.com>
Subject Re: JCR and transactionability
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2005 09:24:46 GMT
On 11/30/05, Alexandru Popescu <the.mindstorm.mailinglist@gmail.com> wrote:
> This sounds good, but than I am realizing Tomcat is not an application server,
> so should I conclude that I cannot use transactions?

You can. There are some examples of how to setup JOTM and Tomcat on
the web to support transactions on datasources, i.e.

  http://jotm.objectweb.org/current/jotm/doc/howto-tomcat-jotm.html

As far as I can tell from the documentation, JOTM can handle any type
of XAResource and this would imply, that it can handle Jackrabbit's
XASession as well, but this would probably need some time to work it
out.

> I will definitely take a look at XATest, but don't know if it makes any sense after
> the remark that Tomcat is not an application server and so it most probably
> doesn't have a resource adapter discovery mechanism.

If you simply need local transactions in one repository, I would still
recommend accessing the XAResource interface directly for reasons of
simplicity. However, if transactions should span multiple
repositories, I would definitely take a look at how JOTM integrates
with Tomcat and JDBC Datasources and find a way to adapt this to
Jackrabbit's XAResource implementation.

Cheers
Dominique