jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: On a Slide/DAV merge.
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2005 16:47:06 GMT
David Nuescheler wrote:
> webdav interoperability seems to be one of the major topics
> that keep popping up when talking to people that are involved in
> slide, and even stefano brings it up in his last post.
>
> On 12/21/05, Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org> wrote:
>> JackRabbit needs to be able to handle all that. WebDAV interoperability
>> is a nightmare and Slide is far ahead of JackRabbit on that front.
>
> of course i agree that jackrabbit (or any solid webdav layer for that matter)
> will have to be able to interoperate with as many webdav clients as possible.
> no doubt.
>
> however, in my experience it is not that the interoperability with numerous
> webdav clients really is a big problem, it is just a matter of very
> boring testing
> and debugging that nobody considers "cool" development work.
>
> in my experience if you invest a single day of debugging per client you
> will easily be able to get whichever webdav server to be compatible with
> a particular client.
> as far as i am concerned the incompatible portions are mostly very small
> and simple things, they are just annoying to find.
>
> i understand that it is a very important and visible problem, but in my mind
> not a very time intensive problem. i guess what i am saying, boils down to
> that i much rather have a well designed webdav server, where i can invest
> another five days of development to get it compatible to another five webdav
> clients, than having a "frankenstein" that is seemingly compatible with a
> number of the current clients.
>
> [...and the term "frankenstein" does certainly not apply to any
> existing implementation, the argument above is entirely theoretical ;) ]

oh, wait, don't get me wrong: when I say "ahead" I don't mean
"unreachable". Clearly, given the dedicated community around JackRabbit
it would be trivial (and, as you say, a matter of days/weeks of boring
testing) for it to catch up with interoperability tests.

All I'm saying, echoing with Daniel, is "don't throw the baby with the
bath water". I'm not suggesting incorporation and I'm not suggesting
merging. I'm suggesting that if JackRabbit wants to be more serious
about WebDAV (and not only DAV but all the related stack DeltaV and
DASL, and leaving hooks for those hybrid things like CalDAV) to look at
what Slide has done to enable that, what worked and what didn't to avoid
hitting the same roadblocks.

And yes, I would *love* to be able to use a subversion client to send
content to a JackRabbit repository, that would rock my world ;-).

--
Stefano.