jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Angela Schreiber <anch...@day.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r354818 - /incubator/jackrabbit/trunk/contrib/jcr-server/server/src/java/org/apache/jackrabbit/webdav/simple/ResourceConfig.java
Date Tue, 13 Dec 2005 17:29:01 GMT
hi brian

Brian Moseley wrote:
> Angela Schreiber wrote:

>> you want a config that is good enough for any jsr170 implementation?

> that's the goal, yes.

here we go. that's the same discussion we had with the
'protected'. i'm talking about a 'simple' webdav server
and you pretend its a 'abstract concrete implementation',
which it definitely isn't.

> it's highly probable
> that every jsr170 implemetnation one would consider using for a
> scalable, performant, featureful internet server would implement
> nt:folder and nt:file.

and what about nt:unstructured? the most generic nodetype
you can even think of?
and what means highly probable?
you make assumptions... and you just pretend, that an arbitrary
jsr170 implementation would be such that it justifies your
hardcoded check.

>> your argument is - from my point of view contradictory.
>> with an arbitrary implemenation of jsr170 the list of
>> collection-nodetypes could equally grow to a theoretically
>> huge amount of nodetypes.

> that seems much less likely. the wide variety of types of resources
> stored in a webdav server dwarfs the types of collections that exists
> (precisely two in webdav+caldav).

again you are just making an assumption. in my usecase (CRX) there
are just 2 nodetypes (or actually its only one) that should be
displayed as non-collection resource and compared to it
there is a huge amount of nodetypes that should be displayed
as collections (e.g. remove the filter....). your needs are
maybe/probably different...

and there is yet another twist to the story: the
collection/non-collection part of the configuration is
just one part. you must also make sure that your import/export
can handle the collection/non-collection nodes. and this
should work for any jsr170 impl? hm.

if i start thinking about this, i realize that your are
really wrong, pretending that the 'simple' server is
'abstract concrete implemenation'.

if i wanted to such a thing, i would have choosen a different
implementation. and - surprise - i would have choosen
a different name. but i disagree that we can make the simple
server the magic-solution you are looking for, by adding
a lot of project specific ifs and helper methods and 'protected'
modifiers.

i guess, we are just talking about different things. i'm
consistently reconsidering the webdav library, while evaluating the
various enhancement request, for i think enhancements will
show the weeknesses of the design. and i have the impression
that you just want the simple server to be suitable for
your project but claim that with this changes we will have
the magic-solution.

i think we are arguing about different things.

kind regards
angela