jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <ju...@zitting.name>
Subject Re: checkins to jcr-server
Date Thu, 08 Dec 2005 20:35:01 GMT
Hi,

Brian Moseley wrote:
> i think the burden of proof should be on the person who wants to keep
> methods private ;)

I'm not so familiar with the jcr-server design that I can comment on
design decisions there, but in general i disagree with the above
principle. :-)

A method should be private if there is no specific reason otherwise. A
non-private method is a part of the external API contract of a class and
  carries with it all the burden of API compatibility. The narrower the
API contract of a class is the easier the class is to restructure to
match an evolving environment. A narrower API is also easier to document
and maintain. In general it is much easier to relax the visibility of a
method when needed than to restrict the availability of a non-private
method.

BR,

Jukka Zitting