jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Moseley <...@osafoundation.org>
Subject Re: Jcr-Server: Request for Advice
Date Thu, 08 Dec 2005 16:46:54 GMT
Angela Schreiber wrote:

> i felt quite uneasy with some of the changes commited
> by brian yesterday and tried to express myself replying
> to the commit-mails (sorry for spaming those that are
> not involved).
>
> but i was not sure how those conflicts should be resolved.
> since i feel responsible for the jcr-server, i changed
> a few things back, i considered to be not correct... but
> i don't know, whether this is even allowed....
>
> anyway, i'd like to raise the question, how such
> conflicts should be handled... so far, there were
> no such issues within the jackrabbit list, since every
> commiter has some sort of area of responsibility. i just
> remember one single incident.

i've been watching apache projects for many years, and i
don't recall ever having seen "owners" of particular pieces
of code. my expectation when i was given commit access to
jackrabbit was that i would be an equal contributor.

i'm also used to apache projects working on a
commit-then-review basis. but maybe i haven't been paying
close enough attention.

as i mentioned in another message, i fully expect to have a
lot of back and forth initially as i come to understand
angela's design more fully. that's natural and no problem to
me. i also expect to have to back out some changes when the
concensus is that they are wrong.

in the case of jcr-server, i'm not sure how to build
concensus and resolve differences when there are only two of
us who are actively committing to that subproject.

of course, if the intention is for angela to be the
authoritative owner of jcr-server, then concensus isn't
really an issue, and i'll have to learn how to be more
persuasive when i want changes made ;)