jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Moseley <...@osafoundation.org>
Subject Re: checkins to jcr-server
Date Thu, 08 Dec 2005 16:05:57 GMT
Angela Schreiber wrote:

> congratulations to you first commit(s) :)

thanks!

> thus, i'd like to ask you be very conservative in
> changing the jcr-server in order to avoid me
> struggling with conflicts.

no problem. i'm looking forward to seeing jdom go away. i've
got a bunch of other changes queued up in the osaf svn
repository, but i'll wait to address them until you've
integrated these changes.

> btw: i don't think its ok to make just private methods
> protected in the DavResource. there was a reason making
> them private. i would like to know, why you need them
> to be protected. thanks.

i have a subclass of DavResource that in past revisions has
needed to access those methods. see
<http://svn.osafoundation.org/server/cosmo/branches/0.2/src/main/java/org/osaf/cosmo/dav/impl/CosmoDavResourceImpl.java>.

since integrating your last major refactoring, i've had to
override fewer of the public DavResourceImpl methods, and
consequently i currently need access to fewer of the
private/protected ones.

however, in general with jcr-server, i think the default
approach should be to make all non-public, non-interface
methods protected unless there is a strong reason for
keeping them private.

with my caldav and ticket extensions i've found a need to
customize many jcr-server classes, and this usually means
accessing methods of concrete superclasses that aren't
defined by interfaces.

i think the burden of proof should be on the person who
wants to keep methods private ;)