jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Alexandru Popescu <the.mindstorm.mailingl...@gmail.com>
Subject BindableRepository
Date Mon, 05 Dec 2005 09:40:19 GMT
Hi!

I have been reading about the decissions around the BindableRepository and why or why not
make it
package vs public level.

I was wondering how to handle the following scenario:

2 applications A & B using a shared repository
application A starts the repository
application B retrieves it through JNDI
application A is shutdown for maintanance (the repository shouldn't be closed, still being
used by B)
JVM is shutting down

This results imo in a not-shutdown repository.

IMO a better approach would be to have the BindableRepository public and its shutdown public,
so
that every application relying on it can `try´ to close the repository. I am saying `try´
because
the BindableRepository should be able to find out if it is still referenced and trigger the

RepositoryImpl.shutdown only when the last referencing application is triggering the shutdown.

Please let me know what do you think about this. If you agree with this scenario I can (almost)

immediately provide the patched version.

thanks in advance,

./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.