jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Dominique Jaeggi <dominique.jae...@day.com>
Subject Re: mixins and nodes
Date Sat, 03 Dec 2005 10:18:39 GMT
a mixin nodetype is explicitely assigned to a node as part of its
jcr:mixinTypes multi-value property. therefore only that one node
carries the additional node type. the spec states:

6.7.4 Primary and Mixin Node Types
In a content repository, every node has one and only one primary node
type. This node type defines, as mentioned, a set of restrictions on the
child items of the node.
In addition to its single primary node type, a node may also have any
number of mixin node types assigned to it. A mixin type is similar to a
primary type in that its definition has the same parameters. It differs,
though, in that it provides additional features to a node, beyond those
defined in the node type proper.
Furthermore, while a primary node type can be “instantiated” as a node
(i.e., that node’s structure is fully defined by its primary node type)
this is not the case with mixin types. A mixin type cannot serve, by
itself, to define the structure of a node; it just adds properties and
child node requirements to a node that already has a primary node type.
A particular supported node type is either a primary type or a mixin
type; it cannot be both.

dom.