jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <ju...@zitting.name>
Subject Re: JCR UUID syntax
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2005 10:08:58 GMT
Hi,

Andreas Hartmann kirjoitti:
> Is the syntax for UUID strings (as returned by Node.getUUID)
> part of the spec, or implementation specific?

I'm actually not sure. I believe the intention is for implementations to
use the standard UUID format, but some legacy content repositories could
also use custom identifiers (the global identifiers in Notes would be a
good example).

> A mail by Tim Reilly and the Jackrabbit javadocs contain a reference to
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mealling-uuid-urn-05.txt
> or -01.txt, respectively. Unfortunately both of them return a 404
> (the IETF search page is down ATM).

The UUID class in the Jackrabbit source tree is based on an earlier
version of the UUID class from the commons-id package. The
mealling-uuid-urn draft was promoted to RFC 4122 during the summer
without any changes to the UUID format. The pointer was changed in the
commons-id sources (see bug 35820 in the Apache Bugzilla), but the
change never propagated to Jackrabbit as we perhaps should consider
making commons-id a normal dependency once it moves out of the commons
sandbox.

BR,

Jukka Zitting