jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Alexandru Popescu <the.mindstorm.mailingl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JCR and transactionability
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2005 09:39:14 GMT
#: Dominique Pfister changed the world a bit at a time by saying on  12/1/2005 11:24 AM :#
> On 11/30/05, Alexandru Popescu <the.mindstorm.mailinglist@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This sounds good, but than I am realizing Tomcat is not an application server,
>> so should I conclude that I cannot use transactions?
>
> You can. There are some examples of how to setup JOTM and Tomcat on
> the web to support transactions on datasources, i.e.
>
>   http://jotm.objectweb.org/current/jotm/doc/howto-tomcat-jotm.html
>
> As far as I can tell from the documentation, JOTM can handle any type
> of XAResource and this would imply, that it can handle Jackrabbit's
> XASession as well, but this would probably need some time to work it
> out.
>
>> I will definitely take a look at XATest, but don't know if it makes any sense after
>> the remark that Tomcat is not an application server and so it most probably
>> doesn't have a resource adapter discovery mechanism.
>
> If you simply need local transactions in one repository, I would still
> recommend accessing the XAResource interface directly for reasons of
> simplicity. However, if transactions should span multiple
> repositories, I would definitely take a look at how JOTM integrates
> with Tomcat and JDBC Datasources and find a way to adapt this to
> Jackrabbit's XAResource implementation.
>
> Cheers
> Dominique

Thanks again Dominique!

Those documents are pretty old (and unfortunately deprecated). However, your last hints start
match what I initially thought.

I will try at a later moment to find a way to integrate Jack's XAResource with JOTM and see
how it
works. I will keep you updated.

cheers,

./alex