jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Peeter Piegaze <peeter.pieg...@day.com>
Subject Re: extend a node type
Date Tue, 13 Dec 2005 15:11:04 GMT
Hi Giota,

On 12/13/05, Giota Karadimitriou <Giota.Karadimitriou@eurodyn.com> wrote:
> I am trying to extend the node type "nt:resource" in order to be able to add
> custom properties to it.
> I started by creating a new node type named my:myresource where 'my' is a
> registered namespace. I also set the new node type to have a supertype of
> "nt:resource".

This is correct.

> However, I ran into the following problems:
> 1) Even though the new node type has "nt:resource" as a supertype as I mentioned
> earlier, it does not automatically inherit any of its properties
> (jcr:data,jcr:encoding,jcr:mimeType and jcr:lastModified). Maybe I am missing
> sth but if the properties are not inherited, what is in fact inherited from a
> certain supertype? As far as I can see properties are left out. So is it
> children or is it sth else?

Your new node type *does* inherit the property and child node
definitions of its supertype (in this case nt:resource). For example,
once you create and register your node type my:myresource you can
query its characteristics through the methods of
javax.jcr.nodetype.NodeType, and you will see that it has inherited
the property definitions from nt:resource

However, this does not mean that when you create a *new node* using
my:myresource as the node type that these properties will
automatically appear *on the node*. That only happens if the property
or child node in question is defined as "autocreated".

In the case of nt:resource, none of the properties are defined as
autocreated so they do not appear automatically.

What the node type does is define what properties are *allowed* to be
added to the node --in the case of nt:resource, the prop jcr:encoding
*may* be added-- and what properties *must* be added to the node, in
this case, the other three: jcr:mimeType, jcr:data, and
jcr:lastModified. Notice that these three are defined as "mandatory"
(though not autocreated). This means you (the application) has to add
them  before saving the node (otherwise the save will fail).

Currently the best documentation on node types is the JSR 170 spec
itself. There is an extensive chapter covering all these details...and

Hope this helps,

View raw message