jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Guggisberg <stefan.guggisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Unregister Custom Nodetypes
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2005 13:11:32 GMT
hi paul

On 11/17/05, Paul Skinner <Paul.Skinner@gossinteractive.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Presently we are trying to un-register node types from the repository
> however its raising an exception because the code to check for existing
> nodes of the type to be removed is yet to be completed
> (NodeTypeRegistry.unregisterNodeType). In the meantime would it be
> possible to add a boolean parameter to the unregisterNodeType function
> which we can set when we know there are no types in the repository.

i don't think that this is a good idea because of the risk of data
loss/corruption. NodetypeRegistry.unregisterNodetype() is a public
jackrabit api method and
i'd rather not want to open backdoors in a public api. node type management
will be addressed in jsr 283 (amongst other areas currently not
covered in jcr 1.0).

btw, there was a thread recently discussing the same topic. the subjet was:

"plans/timeframe for implementation of
NodeTypeRegistry.checkForConflictingContent()"

> We're using the function in some unit tests but we want to remove the
> types afterwards in a simple clean manner.

have a maven task clean up/remove the files (e.g. custom_nodetypes.xml)
after the junit tests.

> Or is there better way of doing this that we have missed ;)

you could for example implement NodeTypeRegistry.checkForConflictingContent()
correctly and contribute the code to jackrabbit ;) the javadoc gives you
some hints on what needs to be done.

cheers
stefan

> Thanks guys
>
> Paul
>
> Come visit us at:
>
> Content Management Europe Exhibition.  29th November - 1st December 2005, Olympia Grand
Hall, London.  Stand # 341

> GOSS - Ranked 4th in the Deloitte Technology Fast 50 Awards 2004 and 88th in the Deloitte
Technology Fast 500 EMEA.

> This email contains proprietary information, some or all of which may be legally privileged.
>

> Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error free, as information may
be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete or contain viruses.
This email and any files attached to it have been checked with virus detection software before
viruses.