jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Guggisberg <stefan.guggisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: plans/timeframe for implementation of NodeTypeRegistry.checkForConflictingContent()
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2005 09:33:09 GMT
hi stefan

On 11/13/05, Stefan Rinner <stefan@collettiva.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> for my jackrabbit based web-application I'd like to be able to create
> and modify nodeTypes within the web-UI.
> Creating a nodeType isn't a problem at all, but as soon as I modify
> one I get an RepositoryException due to the fact, that
> NodeTypeRegistry.checkForConflictingContent() isn't implemented up to
> now.
>
> I looked into Jira and followed the discussion regarding features for
> 1.0 and 1.1 but this issue never got mentioned.
> So I'd be interested to hear if there are any plans and timeframes
> when this will be implemented.

there's no timeframe yet i am afraid. the implementation would unfortunately
not be trivial to say the least. direct (through assignment) and indirect (e.g.
through inheritance, node type constraints etc.) references to a specific
node type must be checked in *all* workspaces and in the version store.
this could be a very lengthy task and the root nodes of all workspaces
would need to be exclusively locked during the entire operation.

i guess one solution would be an offline maintenance job but it certainly
won't make it into the 1.0 release.

> Currently I just commented out the line "throw new RepositoryException
> ("not yet implemented");" and it works fine, but I'm aware of the
> potential danger for data-integrity.

i was going to suggest this as a workaround ;) it's ok if you're aware
of the risks.

cheers
stefan