jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Alexandru Popescu <the.mindstorm.mailingl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JCR and transactionability
Date Wed, 30 Nov 2005 16:53:07 GMT
Thanks a lot Dominique for the hints. I still have some comments:

#: Dominique Pfister changed the world a bit at a time by saying on  11/30/2005 4:38 PM :#
> Hi Alexandru,
>
> Usually, an application server "discovers" Jackrabbit's support for
> transactions by having it deployed as a resource adapter, which is
> also where the XAResource interface comes into play. The contrib/jca
> subfolder contains code for turning Jackrabbit into a resource
> adapter.

This sounds good, but than I am realizing Tomcat is not an application server, so should I
conclude
that I cannot use transactions?

> Right now, Jackrabbit does not expose a "local" transaction interface
> that could be used when operating on a single repository, but, of
> course, you can always resort to the "global" transaction interface,
> namely the XAResource.
>
> Not all operations inside Jackrabbit are fully transactional, though,
> such as versioning and locking, but should follow soon.

I will keep this in mind.

> Inside the class org.apache.jackrabbit.core.XATest, some features of a
> transactional repository exposing a XAResource are tested. This class
> uses a simple UserTransaction implementation. Maybe, taking a look at
> this code sheds some light.

I will definitely take a look at XATest, but don't know if it makes any sense after the remark
that
Tomcat is not an application server and so it most probably doesn't have a resource adapter

discovery mechanism.

Did I get these wrongly?

./alex
--