jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Moseley <...@osafoundation.org>
Subject Re: deadlock problem
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2005 16:28:56 GMT

hey all, any thoughts on this problem?

the weird thing is, each of these 10 threads is
reading/writing different nodes with different parents, eg

/test1/testfile.txt
/test2/testfile.txt
/test10/testfile.txt

so it's baffling me why anything would be sharing locks for
operations on different nodes.

i notice in the javadocs for WriterPreferenceReadWriteLock
that a deadlock can occur if a thread tries to re-acquire a
read lock that it already holds, if there are also waiting
writers. i also see in the thread dump that multiple threads
are waiting to both read and write.

i wonder if maybe some thread called two read methods on a
node without the lock having been released after the first
one. is that possible?

or do the SISM locks apply to all operations in a workspace?
can somebody explain the locking behavior of SISM?