jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <ju...@zitting.name>
Subject Re: How to limit the nodes amount with xpath query returned
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2005 12:43:08 GMT
Hi,

Marcel Reutegger wrote:
> that would work for a plain xpath query. but what about queries that
> have an order by clause? I'd expect something that allows me to limit
> the resultset after ordering.

Ah! I suppose you are right in this use case only being covered by a
proprietary extension. I don't see XPath supporting this anytime soon
(*), so perhaps JSR-283 could specify a limit/offset notation to extend
the order by notation specified in JSR-170.

(*) Full XPath 2.0 would actually be able to do this, but the hack is
both ugly and very slow. See
http://www.ximeco.org/Xime/XPathCanSortHlousek.pdf for the gory details. :-)

PS. I'll still make a Jira issue for the enhanced position() function.
It might come in handly every now and then.

BR,

Jukka Zitting