jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Roy T. Fielding <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: bdb-persistence & db-persistence in contrib
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2005 18:40:05 GMT
On Oct 24, 2005, at 8:07 AM, Stefan Guggisberg wrote:

> i moved the code in contrib/db-persistence to core, made
> DerbyPersistenceManager the "default' pm and removed
> CQFileSystem references (r328071).

> however, i did not yet move contrib/bdb-persistence to core.
> i realized that this would require adding a berkleydb dependency
> to jackrabbit-core. i didn't know if this would be ok.

It would only be okay as an optional (default off) dependency
in which the user could install their own jar, perhaps by setting
an additional property in maven.

> the most recent
> version of "BerkeleyDB Java Edition" available on
> http://www.ibiblio.org/maven
> is 1.7.1. the corresponding license can be found here:
> http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/berkeleydb/licenses/je-1.7.1.license
> IANAL but the license is certainly not compatible with the apache
> license.
> knowledgeable advice would be very welcome.

It is not compatible with ASF policy of allowing users of our software
to create closed-source builds or derivatives.  The license starts out
like Apache 1.1 but the final clause is copyleft.  However, that clause
only applies to redistribution of the covered code, so it is possible
for us to build an independence layer and let users obtain their own
bdb jar if they so desire.

View raw message