jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reuteg...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Another issue with text filtering
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2005 09:43:15 GMT
Hi Martin,

this is unfortunate and should be improved. the reason why this happens
is the following:
the search index implementation always indexes a node as a whole to
improve query performance. that means even if a single property changes
the parent node with all its properties is re-indexed.

unfortunately the checkin method sets properties in three separate
'transactions', causing the search to re-index the according node three
times.

usually this is not an issue, because the index implementation keeps a
buffer for pending index work. that is, if you change the same property
several times and save after each setProperty() call, it won't actually
get re-indexed several times. but text filters behave differently here,
because they extract the text even though the text will never be used.

eventually this will improve without any change to the search index
implementation, because as soon as versioning participates properly in
transactions there will only be one call to index a node on checkin().

as a quick fix we could improve the text filter classes to only parse
the binary when the returned reader is acutally used.

could you create a jira issue for this enhancement too?

thanks a lot.

regards
  marcel