jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From David Nuescheler <david.nuesche...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: jackrabbit and webdav
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2005 08:39:04 GMT
hi manuel,

> Thanks Dave for pointing out something that was
> bothering me as well.
well, i am not sure the two of you are talking about the same thing.

> My company has to design and develop an application to
> serve as a document repository for a small
> governmental istitution together with some workflow
> functionality.
> By now I have two choices:
> 1. JackRabbit
> 2. Slide
> Since the application requirements could be fulfilled
> by any reliable document repository which exposes a
> webdav/deltav interface.
webdav and delta-v offer you a protocol interface.
not an api. since you are developing an application
you will have to deal with an api of some form or
another.

> what is in the future of the slide project ?
this may be the wrong list to ask that question,
maybe the slide-dev list can answer that.
of course i have my personal opinion on that.

> are the developers and users of the slide project
> going to migrate to jackrabbit ?
i don't know that. i would recommend it ;)

> When is the first release of jackrabbit planned ?
it is not planned in detail yet.
but functionally and from a code maturity perspective
i would argue that jackrabbit is in a good shape for a
v1.0 release.

> I would thank anyone that could shed some light on
> this topic, which in the end is about evaluating the
> risk of choosing a platform to start a project from.
this should not only be a choice between slide or
jackrabbit but between a standarized api and a
proprietary one.
jcr is supported by the major commercial content
repository vendors [1].
so if you would like to end up with a portable
application i would suggest to use jcr and any compliant
repository for that matter.

regards,
david

[1] http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=170